Saturday, February 7, 2009

Highest temperatures on record.

Today is one of those days that all people who live in fire prone areas just dread.  It is well over 40 celsius.  The forecast was for 44 and it feels hotter. There is a gale force wind and the air is very smoky. Outside, every now and then,  I can hear sirens but our fire siren hasn't gone off yet, thank God. Occasionally I can hear a helicopter, one of the fire spotters or water bombers, I expect. A cool change is supposed to come through in a couple of hours, but that can also be a very dangerous time, if there is any lightening.I do love living in the hills but, every summer, I ask myself if it is worth the anxiety.

IMG_1924

That sky should be vivid blue, the grey is smoke not cloud.

I was supposed to go to a class with Jen Crossley today. I was all packed and ready to go, but I just couldn't leave my cat behind in the heat. I didn't want to leave the air conditioner on when I was out, and I didn't think my old Ceefa would survive the day without it. As it is, she won't stay in the one air conditioned room, but I force her in there for occasional breaks.

She is around 18 years old and although I am not really a cat lover, she is family and my son loves her dearly. Every time he rings I know to expect two questions, "How are you?" and "How is Ceefa?" She has cancer on her nose and, at the stage when it is distressing her, I will have to have her put down.  Ben loves her so much, he will fly home to be here when that happens. So, not to do my absolute best for her would feel like a betrayal of him, as well as an unkindness to her.

IMG_1923

My poor, fluffy old girl trying to deal with the heat.

Postscript: The cool change came in but not before temperatures in Melbourne had reached a record 46.4 and some parts of the state reached 48 and 49. Officially 14 people have died in fires throughout the state but authorities believe it could be as high as 40.  My house is as hot as hades as the power went out late in the afternoon and now at almost midnight, I am still sweltering. But here we are lucky this time, so far - no major fires and no lightening strikes unlike some other parts of the state.

No comments: