Monday, May 12, 2008

Finding an old friend

I finally got around to setting up a blog and when I do it's because I am so, so sad. After talking to my friend, Cathy Daulman last week, as I have on many occasions, about the situation in Zimbabwe. Today, I decided to seach for information on my old friend Simbarashe Mumbengwe, who Cathy told me, was now Foreign Minister in that perversion of a government. I was hoping that somehow, she had the wrong person, though I knew in my heart of hearts that, this wouldn’t be the case. I had looked before but must have mistyped something because I didn’t find his name and thought this must mean he was someone fairly unimportant in the regime. This time there were no typos and I’ve seen the truth in print.
I feel gutted that Zimbabwe, for which we had such high hopes, is now a basket case economy with a megalomaniac leader. I grieve for the friend from my youth who was handsome, intelligent and honourable.
I understand Africa is very complex and that politics, kinship and tribe are all interrelated, and that if someone is not a supporter of the regime, then they are an enemy and they and their family and friends are at risk But there are many others who have had the courage to oppose the regime and been prepared to pay the price. On an individual level, I wonder how someone can accept the beating up of an old friend such as Sekei Holland but I suppose history is full of people who have betrayed friendships. I know it is stupid to feel personally betrayed when an entire nation has been betrayed, but that's how I feel.
My sadness is of nothing compared to what others who were closer, or who have been directly affected, must feel, but still I grieve for the friend with whom I argued, watched the sunrise from Mt Dandenong, danced at parties and went to rallies and sit-ins, who introduced us to hot chillies and Miriam Makeba, and who had such an influence on me, confirming for me the lifelong value that human rights for all must be a foundation plank for any person of integrity and any just government. I wish I could turn back time.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Congratulations, hope to hear a lot about this blog!!!!

Anonymous said...

Zimbabwe is a typical example of what can go wrong when a dictatorship is in control. The African scenario continues to repeat itself with governments that fall into full scale corruption at the cost of the people. There is only perhaps the one solution which will be the final disaster of uprising and a bloody coup. We can only hope that the opportunity of "people power" can avoid this...